News - Apr 16, 2014 (7 months ago)

People should change these more often!

Be sure to still tune on Bronystate for new episodes!
Bronystate

Fun things to do thread

X

New Episode Discussion

In category: Official Discussion

Okay.
So a few weeks ago, we had some topics spring up where we essentially wrote our thoughts on the Season 2 premiere.
Sure, we could make a new topic for every new episode, but that'd be highly inefficient.
So instead, let's repetitively bump this one topic when a new episode comes out.

As of the time of writing this, the newest episode is Lesson Zero. So in an attempt to strike up a conversation, I'll gather up my fragmented thoughts and dump them here.

With this episode, it's clear that MLP is at least attempting to cater more to the older community at the risk of making it not-so-kid-friendly. Seriously, that was one messed-up mental breakdown. Although it was really interesting to see Twilight crack like Pinkie has.
While I'm talking about information, this one really shows Twilight's true talent with magic. The "I-Want-It" spell may appear simple, but she imbued an object to neurologically affect everypony that sees it--in essence, mind control. Cool, but also slightly concerning about just how much power she has.
Smarty Pants is probably going to be hailed by the fanbase. Although I can understand it, being as there were no dolls in the series before, I just think it's a little silly that there have been 6 drawings of him/her/it here on its release date alone. I know some artists have the natural ability to draw fast, but really?
Lastly, I pray this episode puts a cap on Sun Tyrant Celestia for a while. This is the third time Twilight has had the impression of, “OMG, I gotta do everything perfect for teach or I’m toast!” This is the third time Celestia has appeared at the end and not even cared. And--more likely than not--this is the third time people are going to brush it off and continue to put one of my favorite characters in the worst, most inaccurate of lights.

well it was funny watching twiligth break down even if i noticed that was too much for a 12 yo show.... lets see what happens on the next chapter, may be about celestia's sister at last! *squeee*

is it just me or are they using the "break down" of a char way to much? i mean each char has broken down around.... 3 times now. (twilight 4 times)

it's being used way to much... I mean is their a way they can make a show without poking fun at one ponies weakness?

i would like to start seeing just a simple "i know myself" show. more on each working together on what they know they can do, more then "OMG!!! I CAN DO SO, AND SO BUT NOT THAT GOOD!!!!" /me curl up into the fetal position

also what PsychoShy said, they are making Celestia look more and more like a useless Tyrant. she never dose anything, forces others to do her work, and always comes off as a "i don't care" attitude. truthfully, it makes her seem like a puppet master (less then discord but still their)

lastly i wish to add twilight mainly, but the others 6 come off as being top dog, merry sue, better then everyone ponies. the one time they came off at not being the best was Fall Weather Friends in the race (also before the race they did a Iron Pony competition would like to see that again, but with more then the main 6 in it)

My worries that the show runners would try to please all the bronies by making the show less for children has all-but been confirmed, let's hope that the rest of the season gets back to the roots.

Oh yeah, and I said it before, but Big Mac x Smartypants = Bronies.

Captain_Courage said:
is it just me or are they using the "break down" of a char way to much? i mean each char has broken down around.... 3 times now. (twilight 4 times)

Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash have only cracked once. Also, in this case, the severity of the breakdown must be considered--only Pinkie and maybe Fluttershy (If you count Psycho Shy's short screen time) have broken down to this level.

Captain_Courage said:
i would like to start seeing just a simple "i know myself" show. more on each working together on what they know they can do, more then "OMG!!! I CAN DO SO, AND SO BUT NOT THAT GOOD!!!!" /me curl up into the fetal position

They did that.
It's called the Elements of Harmony.
And I hate them to no end, because they take all the fun out of a decent fight.

Captain_Courage said:
also what PsychoShy said, they are making Celestia look more and more like a useless Tyrant. she never dose anything, forces others to do her work, and always comes off as a "i don't care" attitude. truthfully, it makes her seem like a puppet master (less then discord but still their)

Um...that was evidence against it. The fact that she isn't punishing her subjects in the often case that they did something really dumb is proof enough that she isn't.

Molestia said:
My worries that the show runners would try to please all the bronies by making the show less for children has all-but been confirmed, let's hope that the rest of the season gets back to the roots.

I doubt it.
If we've bugged them for change to no end, there's no way they're gonna change it back.

Werewolf
Contributor
3 years ago
apple applejack bat_wings blank_flank blonde_hair earth_pony equine fang female filly foal generation_4 green_eyes high_res messy_hair norang94 orange_body pony sitting solo transparent_background vampire wings young rating:Safe score:0 user:Werewolf

Re: mental breakdowns
I think it's been interesting to see each of the Mane Six go nuts, as it has revealed new facets of their personalities. I don't think it's been overdone, either:

>Twilight has cracked twice (once in a minor way, at the end of Swarm of the Century, and once seriously, during Lesson Zero). Both times showed that she has an almost obsessive need for organization and control, and that she takes far too much responsibility onto herself.

>Pinkie has only cracked once, during Part of One, and it was one of the saddest and scariest things I've ever seen.

>Applejack cracked once, during Applebuck Season. Actually, I would argue that this wasn't a true descent into madness as was the case with Twi and Pinkie. Applejack was just very stubborn and sleep-deprived.

>Rarity had a minor breakdown in Winter Wrap Up, and again in Suited for Success, but neither had all that much impact IMO.

>Rainbow Dash cracked bad during Sonic Rainboom, but I found it fascinating because it showed the insecure, stage-fright-ridden side of our favorite brash glory-hound.

>Fluttershy, by my count, has cracked exactly once: during Best Night Ever. I don't consider Dragonshy or Stare Master to be mental breakdowns, because in both cases Fluttershy was in complete control of herself; she was just really mad/motivated. Best Night Ever showed her failing at her primary objective in life: befriending animals. Interesting that she reacted, not with despair, but with fury.

Anyway, I hope we see fewer mental breakdowns during Season 2, but I certainly don't think it's been overused yet.

Re: Sun Tyrant Celestia
Some people have decided that Celestia, despite being one of the most reasonable and approachable rulers in fiction, is a dread tyrant and cruel oppressor of her innocent little sister. These people will not be swayed by mere facts. I recommend ignoring them.

Re: brony pandering
I can't say, based on three episodes, that I see any dramatic evidence of this. If it happens, I shan't complain...in the first place am older by a couple of decades that the official target demographic; and in the other, the writers have earned my trust. believe they will continue to produce a good, quality show for a least another season, and making it more complex and mature can only improve it. I will add that the shout-out to bronies in the Equestria Girls ad was simply amazing.

Hmmmm. I'm just waiting for the fan arts of Tom and Mr Smartypants in love...

Werewolf
Contributor
3 years ago
apple applejack bat_wings blank_flank blonde_hair earth_pony equine fang female filly foal generation_4 green_eyes high_res messy_hair norang94 orange_body pony sitting solo transparent_background vampire wings young rating:Safe score:0 user:Werewolf

Good Celestia...

There's someone more socially inept than Twilight.

Also, yay! More Zecora!

Another week, another episode. New topic of discussion: Luna Eclipsed.

First off, let me start off by saying that I find it ironic that the moral of the following episode was "it's okay to be scared if it's all in good fun" right after what is (arguably) the most terrifying episode to date. While I'm mentioning the moral, it's a little concerning that Celestia didn't know where her sister went.
With that out of the way, this episode really did a great job of portraying characters as they should be. Okay, maybe Fluttershy was a little overly timid (Considering what else she's seen, you'd think her nerves would've hardened a bit), but other than that, this episode was perfect as characters go. Zecora was cryptic and highly experienced with natural cures, Luna was socially awkward but sincere...it was great.
Now, like I said, I'm a little upset that they're going to put Luna alongside her sister as an "often mentioned, never seen" character. Given how long we begged to see her again, it's a little disappointing to see her mostly being like Celestia. Still, I enjoyed what I got to see.
Okay, lastly what's probably going to be the most controversial thing: The Nightmare Moon transformation towards the end of the episode. Regardless of how it happened, it's clearly a self-willed transformation. Now, there are really only two explanations for this:
A. Luna used powerful magic to cause a much more frightening side of herself to appear--in English, a combat transformation. This would mean Celestia could do the same--she just hasn't had reason to yet. Given how often this sort of thing happens, I'd have to say it's the more likely theory.
B. Similar to the way that Trixie was able to modify Rarity's appearance, Luna morphed herself into the form of Nightmare Moon. Now, I see you looming over there with your debate papers, Werewolf and Slops--especially considering you brought this up in your "who would win" argument--but I think we can all agree that Luna is a lot better than Trixie at magic, and would actually have the skill to pull it off. Less likely, but leaves the opportunity for Nightmare Moon to become a device when it comes to more villains for the show.

And, as last time, I end on the note of a joke:
> Defeats Nightmare Moon
> Runs screaming at the sight of Luna

Pysco said:
And, as last time, I end on the note of a joke:
> Defeats Nightmare Moon
> Runs screaming at the sight of Luna

It was fun! Duh.

Werewolf
Contributor
3 years ago

PsychoShy said:
Another week, another episode. New topic of discussion: Luna Eclipsed.

First off, let me start off by saying that I find it ironic that the moral of the following episode was "it's okay to be scared if it's all in good fun" right after what is (arguably) the most terrifying episode to date.

Word. Zecora's ghost-NMM was freaking terrifying, and so was Luna's grand entrance.

While I'm mentioning the moral, it's a little concerning that Celestia didn't know where her sister went.

Wait; what? If Luna was sneaking around without Celestia's knowledge, I missed where they said that. I figured Luna can go where she wants and do what she wants.

Okay, maybe Fluttershy was a little overly timid (Considering what else she's seen, you'd think her nerves would've hardened a bit),

Fluttershy can be brave when she's protecting others. When it's just her, she tends to panic. And it was Nightmare Night...I find it significant (and appropriate) that she was at home and not in costume.

Okay, lastly what's probably going to be the most controversial thing: The Nightmare Moon transformation towards the end of the episode.<snip>

Either an illusion or shapeshifting makes sense, and both are traditionally associated with the moon (and fit with the powers we say Luna display as NMM). Personally, I vote for illusion. Whatever the case, it appears that Luna has been purged of the NMM persona, else she would probably have hesitated to transform herself as she did.

Now, I see you looming over there with your debate papers, Werewolf and Slops

*hides papers behind back* I don't know what you're talking about!

I think we can all agree that Luna is a lot better than Trixie at magic, and would actually have the skill to pull it off. Less likely, but leaves the opportunity for Nightmare Moon to become a device when it comes to more villains for the show.

Agreed. I would say Luna is probably the second most powerful and skilled magic-wielder in Equestria, after Celestia herself (and largely because Celestia has had an extra 1,000 years to practice).

Holy hay, it's Wednesday and we still don't have any discussion?! I MUST FIX THIS.
New topic for discussion: The Cutie Pox.

Overall, I have to say a lot of this episode has handy information. We've got more character development for Apple Bloom, a confirmed disease for ponykind to worry about, and the Heart's Desire herb--all of which may come in handy in an RP situation. The Cutie Pox, which appears to be the polar opposite of a normal cutie mark, is sure to come in handy for the great controversy revolving around the name/cutie mark relationship for ponies. Most importantly, though, is the glorious lesson that tumbled out of Apple Bloom's mouth for a note to the princess--whether she knows it or not, she's learning. That cutie mark may be sooner in her future than she thinks.

Of course, I'm not saying I enjoyed everything about this new episode. I am becoming more frustrated than ever with Apple Jack's element--with the Element of Honesty, she refuses to speak to the Seeds of Truth even when it's in her sister's best interest? It's the most frustrating that she wouldn't even bother to try. Also, I understand Zecora is supposed to play a minor role in this episode, but to not see any real development for them is a little disappointing. All her actions have been primal thus far--of course you're going to be confused when everyone runs from you by instinct, of course you're going to be mad when somepony steals your things.

Lastly...
> "Who wants a picture of a hammer on their flank, anyway?"
> Gets a cutie mark for carpentry from Cutie Pox
Am I the only one tasting some bitter irony in the air?

Werewolf
Contributor
3 years ago

PsychoShy said:
Holy hay, it's Wednesday and we still don't have any discussion?! I MUST FIX THIS.
New topic for discussion: The Cutie Pox.

Debate time! I'm here, you're here . . . where are Slops and Sungazer?

Most importantly, though, is the glorious lesson that tumbled out of Apple Bloom's mouth for a note to the princess--whether she knows it or not, she's learning. That cutie mark may be sooner in her future than she thinks.

I personally would love to see at least some of the CMC get their cutie marks before the end of the series. I'm not tremendously optimistic that this will happen, but it would be cool.

Of course, I'm not saying I enjoyed everything about this new episode. I am becoming more frustrated than ever with Apple Jack's element--with the Element of Honesty, she refuses to speak to the Seeds of Truth even when it's in her sister's best interest? It's the most frustrating that she wouldn't even bother to try.

Agreed. I think it was implied that it was Applebloom who had to speak the truth (confess) in order to make the seeds grow, but that could have been made clearer. Also, this was yet another chance for Applejack to be awesome . . . missed. What the buck.

Also, I understand Zecora is supposed to play a minor role in this episode, but to not see any real development for them is a little disappointing. All her actions have been primal thus far--of course you're going to be confused when everyone runs from you by instinct, of course you're going to be mad when somepony steals your things.

I like the fact that Zecora has become a reoccurring character instead of a once-off walking moral. I also like her reaction when she walked into a suddenly-deserted Ponyville . . . it rang true, and it established some continuity with previous episodes.

Lastly...
> "Who wants a picture of a hammer on their flank, anyway?"
> Gets a cutie mark for carpentry from Cutie Pox
Am I the only one tasting some bitter irony in the air?

Yeah, and there was the fact that many of the cutie marks Applebloom acquired referenced things the CMC had tried to do earlier in the series. Hang gliding? Check. Chimney sweep? Check. Lion taming? Check.

Funny/Bizarre Moment:

• Twilight gets Rarity's hairstyle. Suddenly, Spike! I laughed.
  • So . . . there's a version of France in Equestria.
Werewolf
Contributor
3 years ago

New episode! New discussion! Spoilers!

Man, Ponyville has gone high-tech since I was there last. Used to be they just had a horse-drawn locomotive; now, suddenly, cameras and construction cranes and freaking skyscrapers!

Mare Do Well looks freaking awesome. Like a 1940s pulp masked avenger. I'm digging the hat.

More bearded/mustachioed ponies. I wonder if the animators are trying to make a point that, yes, there ARE males in Ponyville?

Pinkie sense callback!

We have canon confirmation that Applejack is stronger than Rainbow Dash, at least in some instances. RD even says it.

Twilight looks awesome in the Mare Do Well outfit. It fits her color scheme perfectly.

Man, Ponyville would have been a bloodbath if six ponies hadn't suddenly decided to go into the superhero business. I saw at least . . . *counts on fingers* . . . eleven ponies would would have been dead or seriously injured but for RD/Mare Do Well.

Wait; wasn't this the same moral as Boast Busters?

Werewolf said:
New episode! New discussion! Spoilers!

You know, it occurs to me just how quiet these "discussions" can be. We get, like, what, two posts per episode?

Man, Ponyville has gone high-tech since I was there last. Used to be they just had a horse-drawn locomotive; now, suddenly, cameras and construction cranes and freaking skyscrapers!

I noted that as well. It's still the strangest thing that they don't have phones--although, perhaps it's still impossible, given that crane was made out of wood and not metal.

Mare Do Well looks freaking awesome. Like a 1940s pulp masked avenger. I'm digging the hat.

I really liked their classic masked hero appearance, too. To me, they resembled some strange mix of Batman and Carmen San Diego...of course, I'm a little out there.

Pinkie sense callback!

Not only was that a good excuse for Mare-Do-Well's powers; it makes me happy that the devs aren't forgetting about their old ideas. More proof of that at every turn, it seems.

Wait; wasn't this the same moral as Boast Busters?

Kind-of-sort-of. That was "It's alright to do good things as long as you aren't a braggart about them," this one shows why you shouldn't be a braggart.
As a matter of fact, my brother actually thought Mare-Do-Well was a learned-her-lesson Trixie trying to make up for the bad she'd done. While he was, of course, wrong, it was an interesting possibility I hadn't considered.

It was a fun episode, with some witty references. Though the Darkwing Duck costume wasn't very subtle XD

And Ponyville must have the highest number of fatalities due to accidents in the kingdom. Let's not hope they just quit saving people afterwards ._.

I personally would have preferred some more interactions between the mane six, but we can't always get everything we want I suppose.

Also hydro-electric dams

• Werewolf said:
  • Funny/Bizarre Moment:
    • So . . . there's a version of France in Equestria.

That was forshadowed. Fluttershy, Suited for Success, speaking of 'Haute Coture.'

I didnt really like the new episode for some reason, didnt feel very MLPish somehow

Werewolf
    Contributor
    2 years ago

PsychoShy said:
    You know, it occurs to me just how quiet these "discussions" can be. We get, like, what, two posts per episode?

I know. And then we have a massive discussion in the comments under some random picture.

As a matter of fact, my brother actually thought Mare-Do-Well was a learned-her-lesson Trixie trying to make up for the bad she'd done. While he was, of course, wrong, it was an interesting possibility I hadn't considered.

I actually thought/hoped for this as soon as I heard the episode synopsis. It would have made perfect sense. Oh well.

Icecolt said:
    Also hydro-electric dams

That actually annoyed me greatly. I can accept some level of schitzo tech and magitch, but a freakin' hydro-electric dam implies a much higher level of technological prowess that Equestria has.

seriously? a dam is annoying you? cant you just enjoy the show without getting irritated by simple things like that?

Werewolf
    Contributor
    2 years ago

Dream_Weaver said:
    seriously? a dam is annoying you? cant you just enjoy the show without getting irritated by simple things like that?

*sigh*

I do enjoy the show. It's my favorite television program. Hay, I spend much of my free time on this very site discussing it.

That doesn't mean I uncritically accept everything in it. Some episodes are better than others, and some things within certain episodes are unusually cool or dumb.

I thought the dam was dumb. That's it. So what? Does that harm your enjoyment of the show? Because it didn't mine.

Can somepony explain to be why "I didn't care for this" is often misinterpreted as "RARRGH hate rage snarl kill!" Because I truly don't get it.

I'm actually digging the technological pullthroughs, but then I also read Fallout: Equestria, so I may be just a scoche biased. XD

Werewolf
    Contributor
    2 years ago

I just came to the weirdest realization.

Remember how we learned that Applejack had named her hind legs (or possibly her hooves?) Bucky McGillicuddy and Kicks McGee?

Is it possible that that was a reference to this:

?

It's just a bizarre and nonsensical thing for AJ (easily the most pragmatic of the ponies) to do otherwise.

Erm, whatever you're talking about has flown over me, Werewolf, but moving right along!

Not a lot to report in the way of characters, but at least we got more of a look at Canterlot! I notice that the people there break up into two groups--rich upperclassmen (at least 80% of which are jerks), and low-talented people simply looking for work. I find it a little strange that this caste system isn't nearly so notable in, say, Ponyville.

I also note that whenever Rarity gets a number, it feels like more of a music video rather than a musical number that goes with the show. The time lapses, the effects, it really has a stark contrast to the numbers that play while everypony else is, y'know, doing things (e.g., Winter Wrap-Up, May the Best Pet Win).

Cameos, cameos everywhere! I really think we've hit home that we want "Derpy" to be our silly character, but that's not all--during the musical number, Photo Finish also appears briefly. Considering her rather minor role, I thought it was a nice shout-out to those with a finer eye, and it also makes sense for her to be present in Canterlot often.

Man, we need more people like Fancy Pants in modern society. He's intelligent, he's got good fortune and he's willing to share it, he's got a fine taste for artistic creations--but most importantly, he likes people regardless of their flaws. A true gentle-colt in every form of the word--and if I couldn't rate him as cool enough, he's got a monocle. He may not have been that important, but he's got a spot alongside Trixie and Zecora as one of my favorite minor characters. True shame that gold-digger of a wife he's got is getting more art than him.

I seem to have noticed that I have to get used to the songs in season 2, as I don't really like them the first time I hear them, but they seem to get better after a few times.

But, overall I liked the new episode. Had some nice jokes, the music was good. I'll just go ahead and call it one of my favorites of season 2, up until now.

Also, there seems to be no pegasi in Canterlot. Just a fun observation I made. Also Prince Blueblood cameo for some reason.

Werewolf
    Contributor
    2 years ago

PsychoShy said:
    Erm, whatever you're talking about has flown over me, Werewolf, but moving right along!

But I can explain . . .

I find it a little strange that this caste system isn't nearly so notable in, say, Ponyville.

Ponyville has a very country/small town vibe to me, whereas Canterlot is clearly intended to be a big, important city. Also, Ponyville was founded by earth ponies, who seem to be more pragmatic than the other breeds . . . anypony want to bet Canterlot was founded by unicorns?

I also note that whenever Rarity gets a number, it feels like more of a music video rather than a musical number that goes with the show. The time lapses, the effects, it really has a stark contrast to the numbers that play while everypony else is, y'know, doing things (e.g., Winter Wrap-Up, May the Best Pet Win).

I hadn't noticed that before, but you're right. Interesting.

Cameos, cameos everywhere! I really think we've hit home that we want "Derpy" to be our silly character, but that's not all--during the musical number, Photo Finish also appears briefly.

Also Prince Blueblood (as Icecolt noted). Also Hoity Toity, Sapphire Shores and . . . Lyra?

Man, we need more people like Fancy Pants in modern society. <snip> he's got a spot alongside Trixie and Zecora as one of my favorite minor characters. True shame that gold-digger of a wife he's got is getting more art than him.

I agree regarding Fancy Pants. MLP seems to be doing a good job of avoiding stereotypes and showing that good people can be anywhere. Rarity herself being the classic example; in any other show the prissy glamour-girl would have driven me crazy. But Rarity is a lady in the truest sense of the word.

And I don't have any issues with Fleur. We know nothing at all about her. She might even be mute.

Icecolt said:
    I seem to have noticed that I have to get used to the songs in season 2, as I don't really like them the first time I hear them, but they seem to get better after a few times.

I felt that way about the "Find a Pet Song" in S2E7 . . . took me a few listens to really start liking it. I have to say, though, I loved "The Pony Everypony Should Know" the first time I heard it.

Werewolf
    Contributor
    2 years ago

Interesting.

• Confirmed: Spike is a wingless dragon species.
    • Confirmed: MegaSpike in S1E23 was not Spike's normal adult form.
    • Confirmed: Rarity knows Spike has a crush on her.
    • Confirmed: Zecora knows everything.
    • Confirmed: Spike looks awesome in hats.

Up for discussion:

• Does Rarity, maybe, possibly, return Spike's interest on some level?
    • Does this mean Spike must either remain a baby forever, or become a rampaging avatar of Greed? Man, that's dark.

1. This episode seemed a lot more mature (pun not intended) than most of the others. I actually didn't expect the "romance" to be more than it was, considering it's a kid's show (not saying that you can't do that in a kid's show, it's just rare). I'm getting the feeling this was directed to the older demographic, which makes it pretty unique.

2. I didn't really understand why Spike turned small again, or why he gets bigger at such a quick rate. So the greedier or bigger a dragons hoard gets, the more he grows? And dragons seem to lose some intelligence, when they are full-grown?

3. Cheerilee buys white fedoras, which confirms my theory that she is a smooth criminal.

4. Cakes will now be classified as WMDs (Weapons of Mass Deliciousness)in the near future.

5. Derpy / Ditzy was waiting in a well for no other reason, than to jumpscare Lyra and Bon Bon

Werewolf
    Contributor
    2 years ago

Icecolt said:
    2. I didn't really understand why Spike turned small again, or why he gets bigger at such a quick rate.

What's the opposite of greed? Generosity. Rarity made Spike remember his own generosity, and how good it felt to give up something he greatly valued to make somepony else happy.

Remember, this is a world where emotional concepts like friendship can be literally weaponized.

So the greedier or bigger a dragons hoard gets, the more he grows? And dragons seem to lose some intelligence, when they are full-grown?

According to Zecora, the more he practices greed, the bigger he grows. I don't think the actual size or value of the hoard has anything to do with it (apple leaves? Really?), just the fact of the dragon taking stuff. And, yes, Spikezilla did seem to grow less intelligent and more feral - or at least, less able to communicate - as he grew.

Hmm. The red dragon in Dragonshy was able to speak. Maybe this was because Spike's growth spurt was unnatural?

3. Cheerilee buys white fedoras, which confirms my theory that she is a smooth criminal.

I can get behind this theory.

5. Derpy / Ditzy was waiting in a well for no other reason, than to jumpscare Lyra and Bon Bon

Also, Lyra and Bon-Bon! Together! Leaning towards each other . . . wait, are the animators doing the shipping for us now?

Also, I just want to reiterate my favorite scene in this episode, the one where Spike and Rarity are falling to the doom:

Spike: "I've always sort of had a crush -"
    Rarity: *stops him, gives him a teary-eyed smile*

IMO, that's amazing. I had always assumed that Spike's crush was an open secret, and that Rarity tolerated it in a best-friend's-little-brother kind of way. This scene implies that she actually returns Spike's affection on some level. Instead of ignoring it or trivializing it, she's effectively saying "Yes, Spike. I know, and I care for you, too."

This show is awesome.

So after the TV finally gets fixed today...

I never thought I'd see the day. Spike has an episode about him, we get several direct and indirect insights to the dragon's life cycle, but most importantly, Rarity shows some form of returning his affection. The most shocking thing about it is that it's even there--the watchers knew they'd be fine, they could've just had them get saved and that would be that.
    This isn't your everyday piece of fan-art; this is canon. Shipping.

My only real complaint is that another trend has been brought to my attention by happening thrice. For the third time, Zecora has had an extensive knowledge on something Twilight had no clue about. And this one was sort of shocking; Twilight never once paused to think, "hey, I essentially own a dragon now; maybe I should read about their life cycle!" I understand they're trying to make Zecora look smart on all things natural, but Twilight's beginning to look like the idiot that "forgot" to study for the test by comparison.