News - Oct 09, 2016 (8 months ago)

New Rule Effective Oct. 17

Please visit the forums for more details, or click here to read forum #11357

X

Sungazer said:
There are still people who think that Rarity's special talent is finding gems?

Yes. I fart in their general direction. Their mothers were hamsters and their fathers smelt of elderberries.

So. Castle, Sweet Castle.

I totally thought they'd end up packing the place with books. In retrospect, I can see why not. Place probably has a library already, and as for books lining every wall of that massive place, where would they get that many books?

The hidden cannons were funny, and the cameo by Bulk Biceps made me both laugh and wince. The homage to the old library via the photos-in-gems chandelier seemed nice. Overall good episode. Not a great one, it wasn't really relevant enough for that, but a good establishing one showing the Mane Six have issues with settling into this new Temple to Toylines.

Werewolf
Contributor
2 years ago
apple applejack bat_wings blonde_hair earth_pony equine fang female filly foal generation_4 green_eyes high_res messy_hair norang94 orange_body pony sitting solo transparent_background vampire wings young rating:Safe score:1 user:Werewolf

I liked the root chandelier thingy. Slightly disappointing that the Mane Five made such obvious mistakes (hay and dirt, Applejack? Really?) but overall, a decent episode. Also, so many callbacks.

Masseur Bulk was very amusing.

Aloe got lines! Go background ponies!

"I am Pancake" I lost it at that point. I had to pause the show and wait till I stopped laughing my flank off.

Spike, getting grabbed by Bulk the way he was... I felt his pain.

And of course, watching Twilight abuse Angel was and always will be my favorite part ^_^ I mean, she kicked him. Who else here has wanted to do that ever since Season 1?

More than anything about Applejack's portrayal lately I'm peeved at the way she's self-admittedly using rusty cookware. I don't think that's a safe thing to go advertising, and it honestly makes Applejack look unrealistically... Well, backwards. Like, to an extent that doesn't even happen in reality.

Who actually uses rusty cookware?

That said, Applejack's portrayal aside, I honestly loved just about everything else about the episode.

Especially Spike. Honestly I relate to Spike on a spiritual level at this point.

Werewolf
Contributor
2 years ago
apple applejack bat_wings blonde_hair earth_pony equine fang female filly foal generation_4 green_eyes high_res messy_hair norang94 orange_body pony sitting solo transparent_background vampire wings young rating:Safe score:1 user:Werewolf

Sungazer said:
More than anything about Applejack's portrayal lately I'm peeved at the way she's self-admittedly using rusty cookware. I don't think that's a safe thing to go advertising, and it honestly makes Applejack look unrealistically... Well, backwards. Like, to an extent that doesn't even happen in reality.

Who actually uses rusty cookware?

If you're referring to Trade Ya, AJ never said anything about using rusty cookware; that was Rarity. AJ wanted to use old cookware that was made of a special metal that would bake the pie five seconds faster.

I think it was meant to be not unlike using an old, cast-iron pan vs a new aluminum one. Some times the old stuff really is better.

Dye_Violetly said:
And of course, watching Twilight abuse Angel was and always will be my favorite part ^_^ I mean, she kicked him. Who else here has wanted to do that ever since Season 1?

That was the exact moment when I knew I was going to like the episode.

My goodness, this episode.

Appleception in the house, yo.

One detail I liked was how breakfast kept changing.

Link to a gif of them here. [link]

Also, Babs has a scissors cutie mark? Cue a flood of shipping with her and Snips.

Werewolf
Contributor
2 years ago

I'm slightly disappointed that more wasn't accomplished, but this does mean a CMC has officially gotten her her butt tattoo.

More worldbuilding is cool. Now we know officially that a pony's cutie mark is an expression of who they are, and a pony is not going to get a cutie mark in something they hate.

I wish Best Pony's lullaby had been longer. And that I could play it on a constant loop to fall asleep to.

I burst out laughing at the third rooster crow. If you don't know why, this should explain it.

Lol, Wolfy, I missed Pinkie's cameo.

EDIT: It struck me that the doors in Luna's dream-hub are bedroom doors. This has a happy canon confirmation. Scootaloo has a bedroom and by extension, a home. Well. A house. An orphanage is still an option. It was a pretty plain door too. Sweetie Belle's was just plain pretty. Now I'm imagining Scootaloo is from the 'bad part of town.' For a mild Equestrian level of 'bad.'

The Leader of the Pack

internetcatchphrase said:
Lol, Wolfy, I missed Pinkie's cameo.

EDIT: It struck me that the doors in Luna's dream-hub are bedroom doors. This has a happy canon confirmation. Scootaloo has a bedroom and by extension, a home. Well. A house. An orphanage is still an option. It was a pretty plain door too. Sweetie Belle's was just plain pretty. Now I'm imagining Scootaloo is from the 'bad part of town.' For a mild Equestrian level of 'bad.'

The Leader of the Pack

I still like to headcanon that Scootaloo's been secretly squatting somewhere and nobody's picked up on that she's an orphan because she's gotten good at casually mooching from ponies that honestly don't mind (probably mostly Rainbow Dash, who's as laidback as it gets).

But I'm just a cruel jerk who loves suffering ponies, so idk.

Scootaloo can't seem to generate any lift, though she can slow a fall at least for a while. When it comes to propelling herself horizontally, like on her scooter, she kicks butt. I think eventually she's going to realize that she can 'fly' in her own way. Off ramps, over canyons. Evel Knievel, eat your heart out. :) Her cutie mark will come when she embraces this reality, and finds joy in the kind of soaring she can do.

I don't think the show will do this idea, but it's my favorite: if Scootaloo can give a scooter some serious forward thrust, I say put that filly in a hang-glider and watch what happens.

this episode was realy nice. it shows howmutch rd bonded with tank.
it was realy sweet seeing how she tried as mutch as she could to keep tank with her.and the amount of emotion brought up by the truth fluttershy brought

also i have one more thing to say. 16,55 to 19,00 ... like a bitch~

Applejack cries on the inside, haha.

I don't think less of Rainbow Dash for crying, either. Crying in itself never fixed the underlying cause of a sadness or pain, but it can temporarily bleed off the emotional pressure and leave you in a calmer mental state. Once you can think clearly again, you're in a position to address the cause. Before she could accept that Tank had to hibernate, she had to calm down to the point of seeing past her emotion-driven denial.

tl;dr Like Fluttershy said: to get past it, you have to go through it.

Hurricane of ref and meme bait, lol.
Sadly, Discord's eyes never once turned green that I recall, and the Smooze has no eyes in this version, so the episode managed to be free of any 'green-eyed monsters.'

I had a kind of choppy, rushed/disconnected vibe from the episode as a whole. I'm on the fence about this. Maybe a focus on one-off gags, meme-bait, and refs led to a lessened focus on a smooth arc of continuity or theme: a sense of the episode as a whole. OR, and this is a valid alternative to me, the herky-jerky feel was quite deliberate. After all, the episode is shown from Discord's POV, in a third-person-limited kind of way. Maybe the thematic zaniness was just how Discord sees the world.

Unless something happens to give me evidence to the contrary, I'm going to assume the style was deliberate. Hanlon's Razor warns that it's unwise to attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity. I posit what I'll call Fluttershy's Razor: don't attribute to stupidity what can be adequately explained by cleverness.

Just to be kind.

Werewolf
Contributor
2 years ago

internetcatchphrase said:
Hurricane of ref and meme bait, lol.
Sadly, Discord's eyes never once turned green that I recall, and the Smooze has no eyes in this version, so the episode managed to be free of any 'green-eyed monsters.'

Eh-hem

Also, with the Smooze, note that Discord brought a literal green monster to the Gala.

I had a kind of choppy, rushed/disconnected vibe from the episode as a whole. I'm on the fence about this. Maybe a focus on one-off gags, meme-bait, and refs led to a lessened focus on a smooth arc of continuity or theme: a sense of the episode as a whole. OR, and this is a valid alternative to me, the herky-jerky feel was quite deliberate. After all, the episode is shown from Discord's POV, in a third-person-limited kind of way. Maybe the thematic zaniness was just how Discord sees the world.

Unless something happens to give me evidence to the contrary, I'm going to assume the style was deliberate. Hanlon's Razor warns that it's unwise to attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity. I posit what I'll call Fluttershy's Razor: don't attribute to stupidity what can be adequately explained by cleverness.

Just to be kind.

I liked it overall. I liked seeing Discord grapple with the concept of friendship. He's clearly trying to work with it as best he can, and he's equally clearly learning a whole new language. Discord was obnoxious here but never outright malicious.

Tree Hugger . . . well, pony hippies are canon to the show now, not just the comics. I found her a little flat, and her pothead personality was a bit on the meh side. I must admit, though, she's exactly the sort of pony I would expect Fluttershy to be friends with.

I liked Pinkie's casual "Oh, hi Discord." The only being who can out-weird Discord would have to be Pinkie.

Werewolf said:
I liked Pinkie's casual "Oh, hi Discord." The only being who can out-weird Discord would have to be Pinkie.

Along with the ! and accompanying sound effect. I replayed that part a few times. Also, I liked how Discord sorta backed away from Pinkie when she got too close.

A few 4th wall breaks, including Pinkie shaking the 'camera'. Those were cute. Overall though, the most important thing I have to say is this; MAUD ROCKS!!!

and noone even bothers asking where luna was for the gala

Shadow_Forge said:
and noone even bothers asking where luna was for the gala

Luna is the Guardian of Dreams. I get the feeling she takes her duty seriously and rarely partakes in such pointless frivolities such as the GGG.

That's my reasoning for it at least.

That, or she was playing GTA 5 and didn't want to be interrupted >_>

Velvet_Star said:
Luna is the Guardian of Dreams. I get the feeling she takes her duty seriously and rarely partakes in such pointless frivolities such as the GGG.

That's my reasoning for it at least.

That, or she was playing GTA 5 and didn't want to be interrupted >_>

She does seem to be super-serious about life, doesn't she?

Very formal.

Sungazer said:
She does seem to be super-serious about life, doesn't she?

Very formal.

She who guards the dreams of others has none of her own?

Wow, griffins.

I liked the episode. Nice RL myth tie-in to the one-eyed enemies of griffins, and I like the variety of bird and feline halves they combo.

Gilda's behavior back in S1 makes more sense. My headcanon is that she was either a scholarship girl or a foreign exchange student in the Junior Speedsters. Made a friend of Rainbow Dash. Then had to go back to crappy old Griffinstone. She clearly wants out. So, when she paid Dash a visit, maybe she hoped to ask Dash if she could crash on Dash's couch until she finds a local job; maybe has Dash put in a good word for her with the Cloudsdale weather pegasi. But then she acted in Ponyville according to city etiquette as she knew it. Unfortunately that's like the street etiquette in Hell's Kitchen, circa 1955. Dash calls her out on acting like a jerk, and Gilda isn't exactly experienced with friendship, so rather than apologize, she flies back to Griffonstone thinking she blew her one good shot at getting out, on top of losing her only friend. Selling griffin scones for money to leave...I respect her for not giving up, but recipe was flawed, and sucked, and I'm sure she knew it sucked, and I'm pretty sure she believed that her lame cooking skills were the reason they sucked.

Just...ouch.

But hey. Her scones taste good now, and I think a lot of the griffins are lonely under all the defensive bitterness. Everyone hoping for somebody to make the first move, nobody willing to make it themselves. Nobody willing to lower their guard for fear of being played like a sucker. Too much pride, too much suspicion, and everybody mistaking defensive aggression for offensive kind. Gilda broke the stalemate, and I think it's going to go on breaking.

Good episode.

Today's episode was awesome.

Silly, but awesome.

I lol'd so hard at the Mane Six getting locked out at the end.

I kept silently mouthing WTF. :D
Especially after Bon Bon dropped the Bon-Bomb.

What the fuck was with that deep-voiced monologue that went over Gummmy's scene though.

Literally what the actual, literal fuck.

Sungazer said:
What the fuck was with that deep-voiced monologue that went over Gummmy's scene though.

Literally what the actual, literal fuck.

I know! Like I said: I kept silently mouthing WTF.

Ah, princess Spike.

Ironically, his actions taken from good intentions are what set up the disaster. Getting the polo game away, delaying the cutting of the trees and the repair of the water main. His unabashed excesses, like the massage and painting (Mona Lisa cutie mark!) didn't cause the disaster or make it worse. ...huh.

Also, planting dragon-sneeze trees in your city sounds like a nice low-key way to discourage giant thieving dragons from visiting.

Cadence has crystal powers. Looks like that's a perk of ruling the Crystal Empire. Even the usurper Sombra got that perk.

Traditionally, western dragons embodied the seven deadly sins of Greed, Pride, Sloth, Lust, Gluttony, Envy, and Wrath. Not just greed, but that's become the most famous. The rest also tend to play their parts in traditional western-dragon psychology. Sleeping for centuries, stealing maidens ( >.> ), eating huge meals, being very prickly about insults and vulnerable to flattery...

Looks like Spike tends to have issues beyond just greed.

Werewolf
Contributor
1 year ago

Yaks are jerks.

Werewolf said:
Yaks are jerks.

They acted like selfish children and thew temper tantrums when things didn't go how they liked...

Then again, maybe they just hate it when others try to emulate them and don't do it right.

Pinkie may have been smiling at the end while being hugged, but somehow I don't think she really liked it.

And on a final note, is Princess Twilight Sparkle afraid of cheese?

Pretty sure the Yaks were taking the piss out of certain parts of the fandom.

Honestly kind of don't blame the writers for it; There are a lot of whiny entitled babies in this fandom as much as I generally love them.

i think the problem was (and what got figured out) they kept trying to make it like jakjakistan. but when the jaks saw the bad parody of how they had it they threw a tantrum. if they started with showing them things and how they are in equestria from the start, instead of trying to mimic something that hasnt been seen by ponies. it might have been a lot more friendly