News - Aug 14, 2017 (9 months ago)

We are experiencing an issue with the uploading system

When you upload, you may get a "File Not Found" Error. We are currently contacting our web admin in order to fix the issue, but until then, we have a work-around that has proven to work for the time being. If you wish to upload, please save the image to your computer, then add it to the upload screen through the "Browse" button. We hope that works for now and will make a notification when the issue is fixed.
~Princess Luna

X
Werewolf
Contributor
6 years ago
apple applejack bat_wings blonde_hair earth_pony equine fang female filly foal generation_4 green_eyes high_res messy_hair norang94 orange_body pony sitting solo transparent_background vampire wings young rating:Safe score:1 user:Werewolf

Slops said:
The Circle with a 4 pointed star? Don't suppose it was his cutiemark?

Could also represent magic, since stars (and star cutie marks) seem to be associated with magic. Witness Twilight's CM and Trixie's CM.

Could be both, in fact.

Today's episode wasn't really my cup of tea but I still liked it, and it looks like Owlowiscious is going to have a playmate from now on.

Now we know there isn't just one phoenix in the world.

I always wondered if Spike was going to end up with a pet.

It made me laugh to see the ponies pull a Monty Python, too: RUN AWAY!

Interesting.

So we now know that dragons operate independently from Celestia's rule--hence, the teenagers didn't know who she was. It would also explain why the red dragon in "Dragonshy" was such a huge deal. Not only was it obnoxious to all the ponies nearby, it was also--in essence--illegal immigration.
Also, dragons with wings. Looooots of dragons with wings. Spike is really beginning to look very freakish beside "normal" dragons.

I'm intrigued by the phoenix egg Spike hatched at the end. I wonder if they're going anywhere with that...

Werewolf
Contributor
6 years ago
apple applejack bat_wings blonde_hair earth_pony equine fang female filly foal generation_4 green_eyes high_res messy_hair norang94 orange_body pony sitting solo transparent_background vampire wings young rating:Safe score:1 user:Werewolf

Glad to see Fluttershy has learned how to say no and make it stick. I purely love the fact that the characters actually learn lessons, and they carry over to later episodes.

Spikity continues to be canon. I appreciated that Rarity defended Spike against Dash's teasing. Also, that scene at the end was very cool. Twilight and Dash were ready to fight, but Rarity was ready to tear some dragons apart. Whether it's romantic or not, she clearly cares deeply for the li'l guy.

Crackle for best dragon.

Did anypony else get a Jim Henson/Labyrinth vibe from the teen dragons? They were very interesting and creative visually. A shame they were so one-dimensional socially.

I was mildly disappointed by the lack of Zecora, since she has been shown to know more about dragons than anyone else in Ponyville.

PsychoShy said:
Also, dragons with wings. Looooots of dragons with wings. Spike is really beginning to look very freakish beside "normal" dragons.

But not unique. There was the one with the tiny head and absolutely epic tail.

Its a shame the migration didnt happen when spike turned into godzilla, he could've destroyed those other dragons then.

And yeah, I've been wanting some more zecora

fluttertree: canon

spitfire: is still best pony

that is all

I hereby nominate the name Dumbell for the huge muscular white pegasus (YEAH!) on the grounds that his cutie mark is one, he appears to be a devout worshipper at the Altar of Bowflex, and he doesn't appear too bright.

Nice way of Jossing the fan theory that Scootaloo can't fly because her wings are so small. If Dumbell can get airborne, she certainly can.

internetcatchphrase said:
I hereby nominate the name Dumbell for the huge muscular white pegasus (YEAH!) on the grounds that his cutie mark is one, he appears to be a devout worshipper at the Altar of Bowflex, and he doesn't appear too bright.

Nice way of Jossing the fan theory that Scootaloo can't fly because her wings are so small. If Dumbell can get airborne, she certainly can.

im going to go with JJ's name suggestion which is: Roids Rage

besides there already is a dumbell i think

Werewolf
Contributor
6 years ago

internetcatchphrase said:

Word of Faust is that Scoots can't fly because she hasn't yet learned how.

Derpy_hooves said:
besides there already is a dumbell i think

I think he was one of the bullies from Fluttershy and RD's flight camp days

Slops
Contributor
6 years ago
2011 derp derpy_hooves dont_transfer duplicate equine female generation_4 inspired_by_proper_art moe painting parody pegasus pony solo wings rating:Safe score:3 user:Ratte

Derpy_hooves said:
spitfire: is still best pony

Didn't she just sit around on her lazy ass while all the other ponies struggled to get the tornado going?

Slops said:
Didn't she just sit around on her lazy ass while all the other ponies struggled to get the tornado going?

slops, your opinions or facts don't matter to me~~~~

Werewolf
Contributor
6 years ago

Slops said:

To quote this review:

"It's great to see Spitfire showing up again, even if all she did was just standing there and look badass, but then her work is to supervise and make sure that the water gets transported on time, not transport it. So those who might have called her lazy or irresponsible for staying there and not giving a hoof to the Ponyville pegasi, it wasn't her job to do so. She is the supervisor, and she was blown away with the results."

Slops
Contributor
6 years ago
2011 derp derpy_hooves dont_transfer duplicate equine female generation_4 inspired_by_proper_art moe painting parody pegasus pony solo wings rating:Safe score:3 user:Ratte

Since RD seemed to be managing the whole thing and TS was on top of the technical support, what kind of supervising what she supposed to be doing?
Even when the whole project was about to fail because they where exactly one pegasus short, she didn't pitch in, she just sat and watched.

I guess she's the kind of supervisor who's too high and mighty to muddy her own hoofs with actual grunt work, even if it would cause the project she's supervising to fail because they needed just one more pegasus to pitch in.

she was there to SUPERVISE not to help

Derpy_hooves said:
she was there to SUPERVISE not to help

She...she didn't even speak.

So Fluttershy appears to be the type that thrives on adrenaline rushes. I can't exactly say I'm surprised by that, but it explains how she managed to outfly Rainbow that one time (Even if she wasn't exactly herself).

I am no longer sure what to think of Angel. Currently, their relationship looks "love-hate"--demanding everything of her one episode, consoling her emotional distress the next. The only explanation I can think of is that he's allowed her to lean on him a lot, and therefore expects the same back.

Also, Fluttershy stole Gilda's theme for her training montage.

EDIT: Oh, yes, totally forgot. Fluttershy somehow made it back to flight camp after falling to the surface...beats me how.

Werewolf
Contributor
6 years ago

PsychoShy said:
She...she didn't even speak.

She did, though. She had one line.

So Fluttershy appears to be the type that thrives on adrenaline rushes. I can't exactly say I'm surprised by that, but it explains how she managed to outfly Rainbow that one time (Even if she wasn't exactly herself).

It's been repeatedly shown that 'Shy is capable of some pretty amazing feats, when she's acting for others. Examples include Dragonshy, Stare Master, The Last Roundup (keeping pace with Dash) and Secret of My Excess (again, keeping pace with Dash). Fluttershy is extremely self-conscious and unwilling to do thing for herself.

I am no longer sure what to think of Angel. Currently, their relationship looks "love-hate"--demanding everything of her one episode, consoling her emotional distress the next. The only explanation I can think of is that he's allowed her to lean on him a lot, and therefore expects the same back.

Putting Your Hoof Down showed by far the worst Angel we've yet seen. I am of the opinion that he's like a spoiled child - he genuinely cares for Fluttershy, but he'll get away with whatever she'll allow. Hopefully some Stare-based discipline has straightened him up a bit.

Fluttershy somehow made it back to flight camp after falling to the surface...beats me how.

I would posit that some adult pegasi flew down and retrieved her.

A couple of other points:

• Derpy, Derpy everywhere. So much Derp.
  • I am no longer surprised at subtle morals, but I am pleased with them. We got the obvious one (no matter how small your contribution, you can still make a difference), along with "bullying can mentally scar the victim, and bullies are not cool."
  • Dash is a good friend.
  • Characterization. Consistent, realistic characterization. This show is awesome.
  • YEAAAAHH!!

Was it just me, or did Fluttershy look like a bird when she was walking on her front legs?

Another episode about the CMC; true shame it's the last one of the season if I recall correctly.

"Do I look like I care about feelings?"--Well, needless to say, Diamond Tiara has now re-replaced Angel at the bottom of my Best Pony Hierarchy. I had almost forgotten how much I hated her.
Speaking of Diamond Tiara, her groupie Silver Spoon is nowhere to be seen. Simple solo mission, or subtle relationship fallout?

And what's the deal with Featherweight? According to the testimony of Apple Bloom in "Call of the Cutie," she and the other CMC were the only people in Cheerilee's class to not receive their cutie marks. And more importantly, where is Pipsqueak getting his education?

Pretty accurate depiction of gossip here--it's all fun and games until you're the journalist's next target. I can forsee a couple things Rarity said becoming quote-worthy in the near future.

Werewolf
Contributor
6 years ago

PsychoShy said:
"Do I look like I care about feelings?"--Well, needless to say, Diamond Tiara has now re-replaced Angel at the bottom of my Best Pony Hierarchy. I had almost forgotten how much I hated her.

She hit Dinky Hooves. She is now worse than ten Hitlers taped together to form a Giant FrankenHitler.

And what's the deal with Featherweight? According to the testimony of Apple Bloom in "Call of the Cutie," she and the other CMC were the only people in Cheerilee's class to not receive their cutie marks. And more importantly, where is Pipsqueak getting his education?

I thought Featherweight was Pipsqueak for his first half-second of screentime. I was disappointed.

My guess: there are multiple classes, and Featherweight only recently joined the CMC's class. This is supported by Applebloom complaining that she was the last pony in her class to get a CM; this means Sweetie and Scoots weren't in her class. They are now. Obviously, there are multiple classes, and ponies sometimes move around between them. This also explains where Pip is: in a different class.

I can forsee a couple things Rarity said becoming quote-worthy in the near future.

"I'll DESTROY HER!"

So many callbacks. Trixie reference! Smarty Pants reference! Those two in particular made me insanely happy.

I laughed at Fluttershy's face at the "tail extensions" line. Does that make me a bad pony?

McIntosh chewing Applebloom out was painful to watch (I don't mean it was badly done; I mean it was emotional). It reinforces the idea that McIntosh is very much the Stallion In Charge. AJ was so mad she resorted to monosyllables, while Mac told AB exactly what he thought of her, using full sentences and his awesome voice to full effect. Mac is awesome.

So, the lessons I learned from this episode: Pinkie is a party addict, Fluttershy augments her physical appearance, and Celestia is bulimic.

Slops
Contributor
6 years ago

Diamond Tiara is apparently a hell of a businesspony and did quite a job of running the school newspaper.
She ran it so well the whole town began following it closely, and seemingly sold more than the local professionally run newspaper...
She's basically J. Jonah Jameson ponyfied...

Werewolf said:
She hit Dinky Hooves. She is now worse than ten Hitlers taped together to form a Giant FrankenHitler.

Wait, when did that happen? I completely missed Dinky's appearance in this episode...

My guess: there are multiple classes, and Featherweight only recently joined the CMC's class. This is supported by Applebloom complaining that she was the last pony in her class to get a CM; this means Sweetie and Scoots weren't in her class. They are now. Obviously, there are multiple classes, and ponies sometimes move around between them. This also explains where Pip is: in a different class.

That would seem a whole lot more likely if it happened more often in existing schools. I've never once had to switch classrooms, elementary school or otherwise. And doesn't that schoolhouse look a little small to you?

"I'll DESTROY HER!"

So many callbacks. Trixie reference! Smarty Pants reference! Those two in particular made me insanely happy.

Gosh darn it, I was going to talk about Trixie! I really need to stop forgetting things.
It would seem that her name in the show is going to stay Trixie. That's good news; I always thought Lulamoon was a bit of an awkward tack-on anyway. You would think she's in Ponyville, but we can't be sure about that--if the CMC did a report on Celestia, who we know is a multi-hour train ride away, Trixie could have been anywhere.

Now I'm imagining her seething with rage at "those pesky little foals" for adding insult to her injury...

McIntosh chewing Applebloom out was painful to watch (I don't mean it was badly done; I mean it was emotional). It reinforces the idea that McIntosh is very much the Stallion In Charge. AJ was so mad she resorted to monosyllables, while Mac told AB exactly what he thought of her, using full sentences and his awesome voice to full effect. Mac is awesome.

That scene probably would have been very emotional for me, too--if I wasn't too busy laughing at it. Its primary focus was clearly to be a joke--and it worked, because that was hilarious.

...Fluttershy augments her physical appearance...

I sure hope that one was made up. For the longest time now, I've been preaching that Fluttershy was an "all-natural" sort of pretty. It would be a true shame to find out that I was wrong.
And don't try to say her reaction indicates it's true, because I think she'd react the same way regardless of truthfulness.

Werewolf
Contributor
6 years ago

Slops said:
Diamond Tiara is apparently a hell of a businesspony and did quite a job of running the school newspaper.
She ran it so well the whole town began following it closely, and seemingly sold more than the local professionally run newspaper...
She's basically J. Jonah Jameson ponyfied...

This is true, though I question whether she would have been able to maintain that momentum in the long run. The Foal Free Press sold like hotcakes because it was printing humorous and juicy gossip, but how long before it turned into a cheap tabloid, or DT's unethical business practices caught up with her?

PsychoShy said:
Wait, when did that happen? I completely missed Dinky's appearance in this episode...

Towards the end, when the whole town was reading the CMC's open letter. Dinky is reading the paper, and Diamond Tiara knocks her aside and steals it.

That would seem a whole lot more likely if it happened more often in existing schools. I've never once had to switch classrooms, elementary school or otherwise. And doesn't that schoolhouse look a little small to you?

Fridge Logic: In previous centuries, a town with a small schoolhouse and only one schoolmarm would have two or three classes per day, typically a morning class and an afternoon class. It's possible that Scoots and Sweetie were in the afternoon class, but moved to the morning class once they became friends with Applebloom, while Pip went to the afternoon class. Why did Featherweight move? Who knows?

Gosh darn it, I was going to talk about Trixie! I really need to stop forgetting things.
It would seem that her name in the show is going to stay Trixie. That's good news; I always thought Lulamoon was a bit of an awkward tack-on anyway. You would think she's in Ponyville, but we can't be sure about that--if the CMC did a report on Celestia, who we know is a multi-hour train ride away, Trixie could have been anywhere.

Another point: she's still popular enough that ponies care about he "secrets." The Ursa Incident didn't completely destroy her reputation. This is good to know.

That scene probably would have been very emotional for me, too--if I wasn't too busy laughing at it. Its primary focus was clearly to be a joke--and it worked, because that was hilarious.

It worked on both levels. That's some darn good writing.

I sure hope that one was made up. For the longest time now, I've been preaching that Fluttershy was an "all-natural" sort of pretty. It would be a true shame to find out that I was wrong.
And don't try to say her reaction indicates it's true, because I think she'd react the same way regardless of truthfulness.

You're probably right; Fluttershy isn't the type to use artificial enhancements (I also don't think Celestia is bulimic). I just found it funny that she didn't even deny it, and her face at that line was hilarious.

Slops
Contributor
6 years ago

PsychoShy said:

I hate to break this to ya, but we already know she looks like a supermodel, because she used to be one, and there is nothing natural about the way supermodels look.
We also know she often frequents the local beauty parlor. At least one a week, possibly more.
If she looks like a beauty it would likely be the kind that needs frequent pedicures, mudbaths and such, rather than the natural type...

Werewolf said:
So, the lessons I learned from this episode: Pinkie is a party addict, Fluttershy augments her physical appearance, and Celestia is bulimic.

I'm pretty sure doing magic takes something out of you. Celestia might have to eat like the buffet's closing in ten minutes because she burns a ton of calories moving the sun across the sky every day.

Just my two bits. I could be wrong.

Werewolf
Contributor
6 years ago

Well. I am disappointed.

This was by far my least-favorite episode of the series. Not to say I hated it, but I shall sum up what I disliked.

• Big McIntosh, the pony that can drag a wagonload of anvils and a team of oxen without even noticing, the pony that is only mildly slowed when you tie a house to him, straining under the weight of a freakin' cake? No. I could have bought it if he was straining to keep it balanced, but the dialogue made it clear that it was the weight that was giving him problems. This could have easily been avoided simply by removing Mac and having Applejack carry the cake.
  • Rainbow "Loyalty" Dash not only disregarding, but actively mocking Pinkie's concerns? Even if she thought Pinkie was overreacting, she could have been less nasty about it.
  • And the culprits are . . . Rainbow, Rarity, and Fluttershy? What? In what universe does this make sense? I could maybe see Dash impulsively taking a bite of cake, but Kindness Pony? Generosity Pony? Not only eating cake, but sneaking to the cake car for the express purpose of stealing the cake Pinkie is guarding, then deceiving Pinkie as she nearly loses her mind with worry? Keeping in mind, they KNOW that Pinkie's whole purpose in being on the train is to safeguard the cake the Cakes entrusted to her care. This isn't a mistake; this is straight-up betrayal. Absolute character fail.

To end on a more positive note, there were some things I liked.

• Gustav le Grande amused me greatly, both for his personality and for being another griffin.
  • Pony Joe! Or possibly Donut Joe. Whichever, he's cool.
  • The view inside the Mind of Pie was as entertaining as it usually is. I particularly liked Gusatv's turn as Dick Dastardly.
Slops
Contributor
6 years ago

Rainbow Dash has been a selfabsorbed jock since the first episode.
It's her defining character trait. In spite of her element she has never been one to put any consideration for others ahead of her own goals.
If she got it into her head that the cake would be awesome, it would make sense for her to sneak a taste, Pinkie be damned...
Not really different from the time she got caught up in her ego and it took the rest of the mane 6 dressing up as a superhero and outdoing Dash repeatedly to get her back down to earth.
Or the time she left Rarity and Pinkie behind in the middle of a desert...
And it took Pinkie to stop her playing pranks on Fluttershy...
And she cheats at sports against her friends...
And she joined the buffaloes and helped incite them to attack her friends relatives in Appaloosa...
She was constantly criticising Fluttershy and generally complaining about her in Dragonshy...
And she cheats at sports against her friends...
For all her willingness to stand up for her friends, Rainbow Dash has never had an abundance of care for her friends, beyond making sure they where paying attention to her, nor ethical and moral integrity.

As for fluttershy, it's hard to say. She's so bloody repressed that it's hard to tell what she might do once noone is looking...
Maybe this is part of the reason why she puts up with Angel. He pushes her to be more assertive about what she wants around others and may just also stop her from doing some things when noone else is looking...
I mean it's not like she was a real asshole who abused her own friends when she tried the assertiveness training and began saying and doing what she actually wanted to, or anything....

And Rarity in spite of all her awesomeness, much as I hate to admit it, might just do something like that. We know, from Green Isn't Your Color, that she is prone to forgetting about everything else when she sets her mind to something (like tasting the cake), including forgetting to make considerations for others feelings.
We know she is may lie to her friends, in order to get something she wants, Sweet and Elite.
She'll be conflicted and guilt ridden about it, but she might just do it...

I'm not seeing the outright character betrayal here. Atypical behaviour, sure, but not unlike anything else any of them have ever done.
Perhaps you put the characters on pedestals and blind yourself to their flaws Werewolf?

I agree that Gustav was awesome. He does leave open the question, is Prance populated by griffons? That would be cool.
I may have to revise my old idea of a fic about the hundred year war with ponies...
As was the ninja Donkey...
00 Joe was was the high point though. I wouldn't have thought they could get away with something like bond girls that in a kids show...

Werewolf
Contributor
6 years ago

Slops said:
Rainbow Dash has been a selfabsorbed jock since the first episode. <snip>

Your points about Dash are valid, and she is the one I have the least problem with. However, she has been portrayed as close friends with Fluttershy, Applejack and Pinkie in particular, and I find it questionable that she would so callously laugh off Pinkie's concerns, while actively plotting against her.

As for fluttershy, it's hard to say. <snip>

Fluttershy is extremely unselfish. The only times she's demonstrated selfish behavior were (1) when she snapped completely at the Gala, (2) when Discorded, and (3) when she wildly overdid her assertiveness training. Her normal nature is not like this. Further, she's one of the more empathic of the ponies, and I can't see her doing something she knows would hurt Pinkie Pie.

And Rarity in spite of all her awesomeness, much as I hate to admit it, might just do something like that. <snip>

Again, though, she knows how seriously Pinkie takes this.

I'm not seeing the outright character betrayal here.

The mane problem here is that all three of these ponies know Pinkie, and they know that the Cakes entrusted their spectacular dessert to Pinkie's keeping. Eating said cake, therefore, is stealing something that is not theirs while simultaneously sabotaging Pinkie - after Pinkie made it expressly clear that she was worried about that very thing - and deceiving everypony in order to get away with it. That's not a momentary mistake; that's an active, premeditated decision. That is not the act of any kind of a friend.

Perhaps you put the characters on pedestals and blind yourself to their flaws Werewolf?

No; I acknowledge their flaws. Their flaws are what make them interesting. What make them awesome, however, is how their virtues outshine their flaws. Rarity is a vain, prissy little drama queen with no appreciation for the value of hard, manual labor, but she will literally rip off her tail and never think twice if it will help her friends - and not even expect any thanks.

Dash is egotistic. Rarity is overdramatic. Fluttershy is insecure. That's fine. That's interesting. But at the end of the day, these ponies are still supposed to be good friends.

Oh Faust, we're doing it again. Want to continue this in the debate thread?

00 Joe was was the high point though. I wouldn't have thought they could get away with something like bond girls that in a kids show...

And another Celestia = God reference, no less.