News - Aug 14, 2017 (1 year ago)

We are experiencing an issue with the uploading system

When you upload, you may get a "File Not Found" Error. We are currently contacting our web admin in order to fix the issue, but until then, we have a work-around that has proven to work for the time being. If you wish to upload, please save the image to your computer, then add it to the upload screen through the "Browse" button. We hope that works for now and will make a notification when the issue is fixed.
~Princess Luna

X

How do ya'll feel about forum RP?

In category: Role Play and Fanfiction

Just wondering...

It's a dark road.

First it's just light RP, then it's full RP, then there's drama everywhere and people RPing shooting other people because they want to godmode, and it'll end in tears and people being banned for ERPing pooping on each other.

SnowHooves
Contributor
7 years ago

Well.. after some discussion with the available mod team...

I'll start a pair of roleplaying threads in a minute. But any roleplay on the forums will be kept in these threads, for the time being <3

In the mean time, I suggest you reaquaint yourselves with the Roleplaying rules :)

Marbles
Contributor
7 years ago

I'm 12 and what is this?

Serious note, I've never understood roleplaying outside of a personal friendly tabletop environment. Seems like something's missing without face to face interaction and d20s. But if people have fun, why not? If ponychan is any indication, FIM has attracted far more than the average typical share of roleplayers.

SnowHooves
Contributor
7 years ago

Well.. I... actually prefer text based roleplaying. I enjoy tabletop games with a passion... but ..well, I'm able to verbalize my thoughts more effectively via text... and I'm more.. comfortable with it. I can play a larger range of characters then I can in real life, because of the bit of delay typing gives me, enabling me to think a bit more. I'm more at home in text, and it's a short coming on my part, I know... BUT... in the right setting with the right people, I LOVE online RPing. The problem is finding those right people.

As for real life roleplaying.. I prefer d10's :D or more recently, fudge dice. never could get into d&d. too many power gamers around me c_c;

Marbles
Contributor
7 years ago

Fudge intrigues me. Nothing wrong with d10s. All I want to know is who is the sadist that invited d4s. Screw d4s. Screw them forever.

And there is a time and place for powergaming. I love some good powergaming. But there are times when it is not appropriate, and it's important to recognize the players around you.

One day I might give this old text roleplaying a try. If I find the right people.

Oh, THAT kind of roleplaying. I thought you meant the silly shit we go on about in the picture comments.

I love a good RP, but I've never role-played in a specific medium before. By that, I mean that I always used characters of my own creation. I'm not sure how well I'd do as a pre-existing character, because then I have to worry about staying in character, making decisions like they would, talking like they would...it's just something I can't do.
So I might be role-playing around here, but expect OC's from me. First, I have to think of one, though...

SnowHooves
Contributor
7 years ago

d4's are evil. They fall out of my dice bag on to my desk and I spend several secodns trying to just.. pick them up o.o

I have... people who try REALLY HARD to min/max... and some people who are better about it... and some people who do it without really realizing it. I've actually got hang ups about that... for white wolf and other more "social" systems, it can be difficult for me to take a skill that might not be needed. o.o and in dnd.. yeah. I don't play d&d for a reason. combined with my terrible dice rolling luck.. yeah...

~~
Psychoshy = I think we encourage OC's more then canon charaters :D

SnowHooves said:
Psychoshy = I think we encourage OC's more then canon charaters :D

Well, good--I just spent several hours writing some up.

*WARNING! MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT AHEAD!*

So I've been working on a bio to use in these RPs and bring some class to them. I then noticed that I had more than one idea, and I had noticed all the advantages of the different breeds as well.
The result? Say hello to the Crazy Horse Gang.

The Crazy Horse Gang is a group that lives up to their name--these ponies are incredibly odd, insane, or just plain weird even from school-age. Bing, bang, boom, social rejects unite--after meeting each other when Scale was protecting the others from bullies, they stayed together ever since.

(An important note: The second name in the following bios are the nicknames that the Crazy Horse Gang gave each other. Only they will call each other by that name.)

After their school days together, the Crazy Horse Gang went their separate ways, trying to earn a career for themselves. They were so busy trying to fit in, they nearly forgot about each other, and the group drifted apart. Scale still talks to Offhand on occasion, but neither know what happened to Sword.

Lastly, note that all these names are works in progress.

Name: Perfect Balance/"Scale"

Breed: Unicorn

Backstory: Perfect Balance was the brainiac of his school--he would take hours, maybe even days, to make sense of everything he learned. This desire to balance out his mind led to balancing the enviornment around him--he earned his cutie mark exceptionally early by protecting Sword and Offhand from bullies (Of course, the mark didn't make sense to him then) . Now, Perfect Balance lives in Ponyville, where nobody really knows him or what he does. What's he doing here? I don't know, go ask him.

Personality: If Perfect Balance has a personality, he doesn't show it often. He's very computer-like and unforgiving when delivering justice on the streets, but when he comes home to solitude, he's very relaxed and calm.

Appearance: Perfect Balance's body color is a light gray, perfectly halfway between black and white. His rusted copper mane is cut relatively short, and gives off a very professional air. His tail, however, has no particular style, and is near the point of dragging along on the floor. Probably the most notable thing on his relatively boring appearance is his eyes. A deep blue that appears to be hiding something, it is said that they flash red when he is scolding you.

Special Talent/Cutie Mark: Perfect Balance's natural ability involves keeping peace amongst his surroundings. He uses this talent to give others advice, and he uses magic to correct injustice he finds. His cutie mark is an ornate gilded two-sided balance scale.

Name: Psycho Soldier/"Sword"

Breed: Earth Pony

Backstory: After being educated on things he didn't care about for so long, Psycho Soldier hired himself out as a guard in Canterlot. He was decent and retained his position, but he was eventually sent away for being too hostile towards visitors. Not wanting to lose the strength he earned from the job, Psycho cut himself off from civilization and moved to the Ever-Free Forest. There, he battles the vicious monsters that inhabit the land. He originally hoped to return to Celestia, asking for a place in the military, but he may have lost sight of that goal by now.

Personality: Years of being alone in the forest has made Psycho a bit like the monsters he fights; he's become vicious and a little paranoid. He walks nowhere without his makeshift weapons, and if it isn't him, he will attack it.

Appearance: Psycho Soldier's main color is a bloody red. His wild, spiky mane is an acidic green, and it hasn't been cut in so long that his tail spills out onto the ground. His eyes are a deep, clouded purple.

Special Talent/Cutie Mark: Psycho Soldier's primary ability is his fighting prowess. While this ability isn't exactly put to full use, it IS his special ability. His cutie mark is an image of a fang clashing against a sword--which he earned about a week into his exodus.

Name: Topsy Turvy/"Offhand"

Breed: Pegasus

Backstory: Like all pegasi, Topsy Turvy was born in Cloudsdale. However, he's developed some serious condition with his wings--he has so little control of them, sometimes they flare up and try to fly by themselves. There was nothing that could be done to prevent it, so to keep him from getting hurt--excessively, that is--Topsy Turvy was sent to a ground school, where he met Psycho and Perfect. Now, Topsy travels all over, with Cloudsdale as his hub, trying to regain control of his wings.

Personality: Topsy Turvy is very humble and meek. He apologizes constantly for his wings' random outbursts.

Appearance: Topsy's main color is a lightish gray, a lot like that of Ditzy Doo. His wings, however, are a lot brighter colored than his body. His golden mane is cut neatly, but a little radically--his mane covers one eye, and his tail slightly resembles a lightning bolt. His deep green eyes are full of sadness.

Special Talent/Cutie Mark: Topsy is such a nuisance to society, he still hasn't earned his mark. Even if he had a talent, he's too preoccupied with his wings to notice it.

Marbles
Contributor
7 years ago

I make an OC because I can. Had this one juggling around in my mind for a while.

Name: Malachite
Backstory: She's a the Equestria equivalent to a councilor / therapist / psychologist.
Personality: Compassionate, but kind of a fuddy-duddy. Often forgets other ponies don't like being analyzed all the time. Isn't very good at dealing with her own personal problems.
Appearance: Very faint purple body, darker purple hair, green eyes. Green key cutie mark.
Special Talent: Heal conflicts. She has the "key" to solving difficult problems between ponies.

What? You want more of a backstory? Screw you, I make that stuff up as I go along when it's relevant. Too bad I don't RP online. Oh well. Maybe I'll make a fanfic that nobody will read cause OCs are the bane of fanfic existence.

Marbles said:
I make an OC because I can. Had this one juggling around in my mind for a while.

I see I'm not the only one. Good, I'd hate to look like a weirdo.

Name: Malachite

A good name, but not exactly in the MLP style. Everypony's name is reference to their special talent--sometimes subtly, others not-so-much.

Nothing wrong here. On a side note, I didn't know we had text-modifying tags!

Backstory: She's a the Equestria equivalent to a councilor / therapist / psychologist.

Seems like something that would fall better under special talent.

Personality: Compassionate, but kind of a fuddy-duddy. Often forgets other ponies don't like being analyzed all the time. Isn't very good at dealing with her own personal problems.

Very interesting personality, it reminds me of myself at one point. I hope you can stay true to this personality.

Appearance: Very faint purple body, darker purple hair, green eyes. Green key cutie mark.

Nothing wrong here. Gosh, why do I keep commenting when nothing's wrong?

Special Talent: Heal conflicts. She has the "key" to solving difficult problems between ponies.

Seems like a good one--what with all the mental breakdowns in Ponyville, I could see this becoming a very useful character.

What? You want more of a backstory? Screw you, I make that stuff up as I go along when it's relevant. Too bad I don't RP online.

That's fair enough. I write backstories because I'm used to having to do so, and also, I like the players to know more about my characters than the actual characters. I don't want someone to be going "What the hell man" if Psycho Soldier attacks them on sight, or they find themselves being blown away by Topsy Turvy's wings.
Also, you really ought to RP online. It's probably the only pony RPing you'll get.

Oh well. Maybe I'll make a fanfic that nobody will read cause OCs are the bane of fanfic existence.

I'd read it for you, just to see your OC develop. :3

Also, I unofficially dub this the topic for posting your OC bios.

EDIT: Oops, totally forgot the thing I'd ask if I posted again. I typically don't use an OC unless someone says they like them--so do you all approve of the Crazy Horse Gang?

Marbles
Contributor
7 years ago

PsychoShy said:
A good name, but not exactly in the MLP style. Everypony's name is reference to their special talent--sometimes subtly, others not-so-much.

Pinkie Pie. Fluttershy. Apple Bloom (construction). Scootaloo (dancing). Hoity Toity. Sapphire Shores. And that's just the ones who have nothing to do with their names. Twilight Sparkle is a huge stretch, as was Cheerilee.

The name Malachite adheres to the 3 syllable rule that 95% of pony names adhere to, it's cute sounding, and lends itself to nicknaming.

If you want to make it a stretch, we can pull a Cheerilee, and say the mineral malachite is very cool to the touch and soothing. Just as Malachite soothes ponies' souls. It's probably better than any of the stretches you could make for the 6 ponies I named above. I had a polished malachite stone which I used to carry around in my pocket growing up and would roll around in my palm and fingers when I was feeling stressed.

Okay, you've got me on Pinkie. I'll give you that.
Fluttershy has a love for animals--and I find it no coincidence the first one they encountered was a butterfly.
Apple Bloom's talent is still a lot of a mystery to me. Maybe I'm just watching it wrong.
Scootaloo has a natural stunt-pony talent--seen whenever she rides her SCOOTER.
Honestly, I don't really even consider modeling a "special talent." I mean, how hard is it to get on top of a pedestal and pose?
I had a theory for that a while back--Celestia = Sun, Luna = Moon, Twilight SPARKLE = Stars.
I honestly don't know much about Cheerilee, so I can't argue that.

Also, I like that idea--I didn't even know about said mineral.

On another note, WHOOSH! I feel like the main points of my post whisked right over your head.
- Making a backstory *MIGHT* be beneficial to the other players
- You really ought to RP online, just so you can RP at all
- Do you like the Crazy Horse Gang? I hate to sound like I'm nagging, but it's important to me!

Marbles
Contributor
7 years ago

PsychoShy said:
Also, I like that idea--I didn't even know about said mineral.

Polished Malachite. I got the idea from the color I decided to use for her eyes and cutie mark.

http://skywalker.cochise.edu/wellerr/minbis/malachite/6bzb-malachite-cab5.jpg

PsychoShy said:
- Making a backstory *MIGHT* be beneficial to the other players

Not really. I think knowing she's a councilor is enough to go with. RPing is about the here and now, not about the past. The past comes up if it needs to come up. How long was it into FIM before we to hear everypony's backstory? Some came up earlier, like Rainbow Dash in Sonic Rainboom, but even that was episode 16. Background stories rarely have any impact on the current story beyond vagueness.

She's in ponyville, she's a councilor. That's enough to go with. Does it make a difference if she was raised by Zebras and was kidnapped by ninjas when she was a little filly, but she drank a magic potion she learned from the Zebras and turned into an alicorn and fought off the ninjas, and went back to the Zebras, but the potion was taboo to drink, so they exiled her, and she wandered the world, the potion eventually wearing off and her going back to being an Earth Pony before finding her way to Ponyville where she set up her medical practice. Maybe that's what happened. Does it change the way the ponies of Ponyville interact with her? She doesn't run around bragging about her past. Would anybody even know? Maybe she's using magic she learned from Zebras to aid her in her practice, but surely she wouldn't tell anybody so nobody would know. (No, this isn't her backstory, I was just making stuff up as I went along)

I said *MIGHT.* Keyword there is might. I have this attitude towards some characters, too--I make them, I use them, I invent a good backstory as I play. It's perfectly acceptable to not have it to begin with, but if their childhood or something was notable, it should be mentioned, or at least hinted at.
(I take this RPing thing too seriously, huh?)

I said:
- You really ought to RP online, just so you can RP at all
- Do you like the Crazy Horse Gang? I hate to sound like I'm nagging, but it's important to me!

Gee, am I hearing an echo in here?