News - Dec 16, 2014 (5 days ago)

Pony Season 5 Slated for a "Spring" release

Hasbro has confirmed via a series of short teaser videos that season 5 of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is due to begin sometime in "Spring 2015." This means that any time between March and June.

So far the rumours are scarce, but from what we've learned episodes will include:

- At least one concerning the aftermath of Season 4's finale

- "Princess Luna has a nightmare"

- An episode centred around the Pie Family

- A special 100th Episode that will be a "22 Short Films about Sprinfield"-style focus on background and fan-favourite characters.

In the meantime, check out these official teasers for season 5:

Twilight Sparkle

Fluttershy

Applejack

Pinkie Pie

Rainbow Dash

X
Slops
Contributor
2 years ago
2011 derp derpy_hooves equine female generation_4 inspired_by_proper_art moe painting parody pegasus pony solo wings rating:Safe score:3 user:Ratte

Tilties and Royalty Debate

In category: Official Discussion

We had yet another extensive debate in the comments about the significance of the titles used in the Hearth's Warming Eve pageant in episode Heart's Warming Eve and what it meant for Equestria.

In the interest of avoiding excessive discussions of semantics, we will start by laying out the basic facts that we can be certain of, which are relevant to the subject of the debate.
Once we agree on the basic facts that can be known, we can start discussing their implications.
--------------------------------------------------------------

*There where three tribes of ponies originally, divided along racial lines, as Pegasi, Unicorns and Earth Ponies.
*We do not know for certain anything about the specific relationship between the tribes, other than they had separate jobs in their society. Our information on the subject is unreliable as to weather or not they where equals or if some groups where extorting food and/or otherwise oppressing and dominating other groups.
*Each tribe used separate titles. Commander for the Pegasi, Chancellor for the Earth Ponies and Princess for the Unicorns.
*This was all stated to be "long before the reign of Celestia"
*Starswirl the Bearded was mentioned but never shown in the play. Luna recognised the costume of him, but we do not know if she knew him personally or simply knew of him. This is relevant mostly as it would indicate the presence of the royal sisters who are otherwise unmentioned in the entire pageant in spite of their prominent role in modern Equestrian society.
*We know that the current rulers of Equestria both use a title specific to only the Unicorn tribe, the title Princess specifically. The two other tribes are never mentioned or implied in relation to the royal sisters in the show.
*We know other prominent ponies also use titles implying royalty. Prince Blueblood specifically. His role, power and importance at the court is unknown, but we do know that he was famous enough to be known to Rarity before she ever visited the court.
*No mention of any other ponies using any of the titles have been shown or mentioned in the show.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Are any of those facts wrong or have I left any relevant to the subject out?
Please try to stay with what we know for certain or what we specifically do not know for certain, rather than the implications of such facts (we'll get to that latter).

Quick note:
Here's a quick transcript of the most relevant episode to help avert discussions of who said what in the episode.
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Transcripts/Hearth%27s_Warming_Eve


The reason the princess's of equestria are not queens, is that hasbro and Lauren Faust wanted to avoid the "Disney Stigma." And didn't have the foresight of the script at the time for hearths warming even, hence the titles {Queens are "Evil" Thanks to Disney.

Slops
Contributor
2 years ago
2011 derp derpy_hooves equine female generation_4 inspired_by_proper_art moe painting parody pegasus pony solo wings rating:Safe score:3 user:Ratte

I prefer to think Equestria is a prinicpality...

Werewolf
Contributor
2 years ago
apple applejack bat_wings blank_flank blonde_hair earth_pony equine fang female filly foal generation_4 green_eyes high_res messy_hair norang94 orange_body pony sitting solo transparent_background vampire wings young rating:Safe score:0 user:Werewolf

TerraFirma said:
The reason the princess's of equestria are not queens, is that hasbro and Lauren Faust wanted to avoid the "Disney Stigma." And didn't have the foresight of the script at the time for hearths warming even, hence the titles {Queens are "Evil" Thanks to Disney.

This is true, however, it has no bearing on the in-universe canon. It's just as accurate to say that Derpy Hooves was an animation mistake, yet now she is an established character; thus, in-universe, she has always (retroactively) existed.

Slops said:
*We do not know for certain anything about the specific relationship between the tribes, other than they had separate jobs in their society. Our information on the subject is unreliable as to weather or not they where equals or if some groups where extorting food and/or otherwise oppressing and dominating other groups.

While I will grant that the source is not completely reliable, the information we do have comes from the Hearth's Warming Eve play, which is presumably based on historical documents of some kind. We pretty much have to either accept it as accurate, or throw it out entirely; otherwise we're going to get into arguments over which aspects of the play were correct and which weren't.

I recommend we accept the play as accurate.

Are any of those facts wrong or have I left any relevant to the subject out?

I can only think of two minor points worth bringing up:

  • Princess Platinum is introduced as "Daughter of the unicorn king," implying that her father, not her, is the actual ruler of the unicorns. Of course, in the preceding sentence, we're told that "each tribe sent their leaders," implying that she is the unicorns' leader. Perhaps the king is no longer an active leader?
  • Commander Hurricane and Chancellor Pudding Head are introduced as "ruler of the pegasi" and "leader of the earth ponies," respectively. This indicates that, whatever their titles, they are the authority figures of their people, and were (in theory) able to negotiate with Princess Platinum on an equal basis.
Slops
Contributor
2 years ago
2011 derp derpy_hooves equine female generation_4 inspired_by_proper_art moe painting parody pegasus pony solo wings rating:Safe score:3 user:Ratte

Werewolf said:
While I will grant that the source is not completely reliable, the information we do have comes from the Hearth's Warming Eve play, which is presumably based on historical documents of some kind. We pretty much have to either accept it as accurate, or throw it out entirely; otherwise we're going to get into arguments over which aspects of the play were correct and which weren't.

If the play was accurate the three tribes that immigrated to Equestria would have consisted of 2 ponies each and the equestrian population would have been entirely female.
Also, no one brought anything along on the immigration aside from the clothes on their backs.
Clearly, a lot of details in the show are blatantly wrong. But without any part of the play there is no basis for the discussion aside from modern use of the titles Princess.
The information from the play however doesn't have to be "all reliable" or "all unreliable" with no middle ground however.
Rather than choosing all or nothing, I would look at the specific facts we rely on for our latter assumptions, to determine if they are likely to be reliable.

For example:
I would prefer to accept the existence of the specific historical ponies mentioned (the three leaders specifically), on account of these ponies being important historical figures (the equestrian equivalent of the founding fathers) along with their titles. The kind of details only minimal research can provide and are easily related in historical documents.
It is the relationship between the tribes and the characterisation of the tribes I'm less prepared to accept as accurate. The kind of historical information only experts are likely to know and is likely to be heavily interpreted and distorted by modern political considerations.
For example, we know that Cleopatra was a historical figure, but how she was a person and her relationship to the Roman Emperor is a lot harder to reliably determine due to the political enemies she had at the time spreading a lot of disinformation about her.

It is important that we agree on which details we believe are reliable because until we can agree on what happened there is little meaning in debating the implications of what happened.


Slops said:
If the play was accurate the three tribes that immigrated to Equestria would have consisted of 2 ponies each and the equestrian population would have been entirely female.
Also, no one brought anything along on the immigration aside from the clothes on their backs.
Clearly, a lot of details in the show are blatantly wrong. But without any part of the play there is no basis for the discussion aside from modern use of the titles Princess.
The information from the play however doesn't have to be "all reliable" or "all unreliable" with no middle ground however.
Rather than choosing all or nothing, I would look at the specific facts we rely on for our latter assumptions, to determine if they are likely to be reliable.

For example:
I would prefer to accept the existence of the specific historical ponies mentioned (the three leaders specifically), on account of these ponies being important historical figures (the equestrian equivalent of the founding fathers) along with their titles. The kind of details only minimal research can provide and are easily related in historical documents.
It is the relationship between the tribes and the characterisation of the tribes I'm less prepared to accept as accurate. The kind of historical information only experts are likely to know and is likely to be heavily interpreted and distorted by modern political considerations.
For example, we know that Cleopatra was a historical figure, but how she was a person and her relationship to the Roman Emperor is a lot harder to reliably determine due to the political enemies she had at the time spreading a lot of disinformation about her.

It is important that we agree on which details we believe are reliable because until we can agree on what happened there is little meaning in debating the implications of what happened.

its ALL ponies, does it even matter?


Derpy_hooves said:
its ALL ponies, does it even matter?

^this

It's just a show, you should really just relax.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MST3KMantra


Jesus you people make my brain hurt.


TerraFirma said:
Jesus you people make my brain hurt.

Consider this the Debate Team's revenge for leaving them behind in Role-Playing matters.
At least, that's what I'm considering it.
---
Personally, I just think the different titles that were present were simply there to keep all the tribes from being boring and going "Princess/Princess/Princess." Also to be noted is that "Commander" and "Chancellor" are not gender-specific titles; they could have been used to further reinforce that males were, indeed, present when Equestria was founded. I sincerely doubt that Commander Hurricane was a girl.
In addition, the titles seem to reflect the nature of that breed in general. "Princess"--unicorns are typically regal and elegant. "Commander"--pegasi are athletic and slightly war-like. "Chancellor"--I don't know what role a chancellor plays in government, but earth ponies seem approachable and dependable. Prince Blueblood backs this up.
---
Lastly, on the note of Starswirl, if Werewolf's theory that alicorns evolved from unicorns is correct, then it's possible that Celestia and Luna lived in the Old World and evolved into their alicorn state after Discord took over. This would, of course, depend on the gap between Equestria being founded and Discord taking it over.


This thread has been unlocked. Please take this opportunity to reflect on what exactly you are debating and weight it's value...

Also, please keep all such debates in the Forums. We cannot stress this enough. The comments are not a thread of their own to be used in such manner. This is EXACTLY why we made a forum for you.
Thank you, and Merry Christmas/Hearth's Warming Day.