News - Apr 16, 2014 (6 months ago)

People should change these more often!

Be sure to still tune on Bronystate for new episodes!
Bronystate

Fun things to do thread

X

The Derpy Controversy

In category: Official Discussion

Ok im pretty sure all of you are aware of the save derpy campaign, well this thread is for all of you to discuss the derpy situation, what are your thoughts on this change?, discuss them here...

I told you all we should've called her "Ditzy Doo." But noooo, nopony would dare listen to me.

Personally, I don't care either way as it is. As opposed to the adorable little fanon we'd cut out for her, "Derpy" isn't really being taken seriously by Hasbro, and even though her hate is undeserved, it's not like she was adding an important detail to the show for me.

PsychoShy said:
I told you all we should've called her "Ditzy Doo." But noooo, nopony would dare listen to me.

Personally, I don't care either way as it is. As opposed to the adorable little fanon we'd cut out for her, "Derpy" isn't really being taken seriously by Hasbro, and even though her hate is undeserved, it's not like she was adding an important detail to the show for me.

Yes because the slang name for retarded blond girls "Ditzy" is soooo much better.

Haters gotta hate and it is a threat to freindship You know Albert Einstein Thomas Jefferson and Bill Gates have autism including me and it looks like she is getting kicked out for that. KICK ME OUT

"Fixing" a "handicapped" pony.

Great message, Hasbro.

No, I don't care if there was no other way to do it, or that she'd be taken out completely if they didn't comply. They should've taken a stand about it, asked people if we should fix the mentally challenged in real life, too. Because, you know, heaven forbid you actually portray someone who's challenged with any modicum of levity and decency and normalcy, nooo, that'd be INSENSITIVE. Better to whitewash them into a normal person, you know, because I'm sure the mentally challenged love the thought of BEING ERASED. :I

Dio_Brando said:
"Fixing" a "handicapped" pony.

Great message, Hasbro.

No, I don't care if there was no other way to do it, or that she'd be taken out completely if they didn't comply. They should've taken a stand about it, asked people if we should fix the mentally challenged in real life, too. Because, you know, heaven forbid you actually portray someone who's challenged with any modicum of levity and decency and normalcy, nooo, that'd be INSENSITIVE. Better to whitewash them into a normal person, you know, because I'm sure the mentally challenged love the thought of BEING ERASED. :I

OBJECTION!!!

History has disproved your comment

First off, listen to this tumbler.

http://balddumborat.tumblr.com/post/18235810866/sorry-i-needed-this

Derpy may not be my fav background pony, but she's in the top 10 for me and I really was happy when she got those lines. She was so bubbly and cute.

I have friends who have mental disabilities, and I have a physical disability and mild dyslexia (thank goodness for spell check). Should all of us be gotten rid of too because we're not perfect?

Now, I agree with BalDumboRat, and I don't blame Hasbro at all, but I am disappointed that they caved from the complaints from a few trolls and haters. I agree that we should keep the Derpy that we and Hasbro made TOGETHER. She deserves to be in the show.

Now many other ponies have they shown that are not the brightest, and possibly have mental problems? Snips and Snails, the pony that talked to Rarity in the Sweet and Elite episode. I never hear any hate about those characters, so why is a beloved pony like Derpy getting thrown to the glue factory?

Last but not least, WE LOVE YOU DERPY!!!

Blah... I'm just mindlessly ranting. Ignore me if you like.

TerraFirma said:
Yes because the slang name for retarded blond girls "Ditzy" is soooo much better.

Wasn't one of her considered names Bright Eyes?

Velvet_Star said:
Wasn't one of her considered names Bright Eyes?

Not that I'm aware of.

Velvet_Star said:
First off, listen to this tumbler.

http://balddumborat.tumblr.com/post/18235810866/sorry-i-needed-this

Derpy may not be my fav background pony, but she's in the top 10 for me and I really was happy when she got those lines. She was so bubbly and cute.

I have friends who have mental disabilities, and I have a physical disability and mild dyslexia (thank goodness for spell check). Should all of us be gotten rid of too because we're not perfect?

Now, I agree with BalDumboRat, and I don't blame Hasbro at all, but I am disappointed that they caved from the complaints from a few trolls and haters. I agree that we should keep the Derpy that we and Hasbro made TOGETHER. She deserves to be in the show.

Now many other ponies have they shown that are not the brightest, and possibly have mental problems? Snips and Snails, the pony that talked to Rarity in the Sweet and Elite episode. I never hear any hate about those characters, so why is a beloved pony like Derpy getting thrown to the glue factory?

Last but not least, WE LOVE YOU DERPY!!!

Blah... I'm just mindlessly ranting. Ignore me if you like.

Me likey, I have Hyperlexia/Autism, Restless Leg Syndrome and anxiety/depresion

I prefer Ditzy Doo, but have no problem with Derpy. So much overreaction over an inoffensive internet-born slang name, and a pair of walleyes.

I too was more disappointed that Hasbro capitulated to the "offended" people who called in. I doubt that most (if any) of them were disabled themselves. Either artificial indigence for "people who don't know any better" or a poor veil for their own fears ad insecurities in how to deal with "broken people"

I walk with a cane (and I'm not "that old") and I see people unsure as to how to deal with me on a regular basis (especially when my cane falls over while I'm doing something. Trying to divide compassion from condescension is sometimes difficult, but not as much as most think.

I like Derpy as form of fan service to us, something for those in the know. Having her acknowledged by her lines in an inarguable way to show that the creators know of and like us. But that's not why she as white washed.

It was too close to real disabled people for some and they don't know how to cope because most people don't have regular enough contact with the disabled.

I want her back so in a small way people can see that disabled people are people before their disability. We can make mistakes and we can help fix them, just like "other" people.

But I think we spoke even more loudly that the haters. Though I can only speak for myself and the petitions I saw, I think we spoke clearly, reasonably (for the most part) and honestly. Knowing that so many stand with the show could easily give them the strength they didn't realize they had.

RubyDragon said:
I too was more disappointed that Hasbro capitulated to the "offended" people who called in. I doubt that most (if any) of them were disabled themselves. Either artificial indigence for "people who don't know any better" or a poor veil for their own fears ad insecurities in how to deal with "broken people"

I walk with a cane (and I'm not "that old") and I see people unsure as to how to deal with me on a regular basis (especially when my cane falls over while I'm doing something. Trying to divide compassion from condescension is sometimes difficult, but not as much as most think.

I like Derpy as form of fan service to us, something for those in the know. Having her acknowledged by her lines in an inarguable way to show that the creators know of and like us. But that's not why she as white washed.

It was too close to real disabled people for some and they don't know how to cope because most people don't have regular enough contact with the disabled.

I want her back so in a small way people can see that disabled people are people before their disability. We can make mistakes and we can help fix them, just like "other" people.

But I think we spoke even more loudly that the haters. Though I can only speak for myself and the petitions I saw, I think we spoke clearly, reasonably (for the most part) and honestly. Knowing that so many stand with the show could easily give them the strength they didn't realize they had.

Chase them and beat them with yer cane! that'll learn em some manners.

TerraFirma said:
Chase them and beat them with yer cane! that'll learn em some manners.

Okay, you miss have just made my mourning X)

Hasbro needs to grow some balls and bring derpy hooves back and give the finger to the trolls, that Is all

TerraFirma said:

Is that where that term originated from? LEARNING NEW THINGS EVERY DAY.

The point, though, is that Ditzy's name had already been used in the show and nobody raised hellfire about it. If anything, it works better, because "Derpy" is blonde. All in all, for this one reason, it struck me as a more solid name choice.

PsychoShy said:
Is that where that term originated from? LEARNING NEW THINGS EVERY DAY.

The point, though, is that Ditzy's name had already been used in the show and nobody raised hellfire about it. If anything, it works better, because "Derpy" is blonde. All in all, for this one reason, it struck me as a more solid name choice.

So, let me get this straight. We shouldn't call her derpy because its "Offensive" to the mentally handicapped.

And instead, we should use "Ditzy" which is used to refer exclusively to mentally retarded blond girls who fuck everything up; and open their legs as if they were all you can eat buffets..

TerraFirma said:
So, let me get this straight. We shouldn't call her derpy because its "Offensive" to the mentally handicapped.

And instead, we should use "Ditzy" which is used to refer exclusively to mentally retarded blond girls who fuck everything up; and open their legs as if they were all you can eat buffets..

*facehoofs* Objection if that is the case.

TerraFirma said:

Remember what I said about you viewing everything everypony says in the worst possible light?
Well, there you go again. And you completely ignored my point to boot.

No one got angry when Ditzy Doo was mentioned in Winter Wrap-Up ("Ditzy Doo accidentally flew North to get the Southern birds!"); therefore, I thought it would be better to use it in the show.
And to reflect my opinion, I can quote on of the users above: "I prefer Ditzy Doo, but have no problem with Derpy."

i for one, dont like the change, but that doesnt mean im going to go apeshit crazy over it, like some of the bronies are...

Werewolf
Contributor
2 years ago
apple applejack bat_wings blank_flank blonde_hair earth_pony equine fang female filly foal generation_4 green_eyes high_res messy_hair norang94 orange_body pony sitting solo transparent_background vampire wings young rating:Safe score:0 user:Werewolf

Derpy_hooves said:
i for one, dont like the change, but that doesnt mean im going to go apeshit crazy over it, like some of the bronies are...

This.

The fact that Studio B gave us Derpy is awesome and amazing, and nothing can take that away. The fact that somepony (Apple? I dunno) decided remove her name from The Last Roundup is disappointing, but not worth the levels of rage I've seen. As for the voice, I truly don't care . . . I recall any number of bronies raging against that voice originally.

Derpy lived well before TLR. She will live on no matter what else happens. She is the ultimate symbol of the bronies, and will live as long as the fandom does.

Viva Derpy!

Heh, giving a cartoon character the shaft because a few people felt uncomfortable. How hedonistic and petty can people get?

you all need to chill the fuck out, stop blaming hasbro and itunes/apple, and all of that stupid shit and read this: -----------> http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/qa9zf/a_few_misconceptions_about_derpy_and_the_change/

Derpy_hooves said:
you all need to chill the fuck out, stop blaming hasbro and itunes/apple, and all of that stupid shit and read this: -----------> http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/qa9zf/a_few_misconceptions_about_derpy_and_the_change/

Well, son of a gun. I didn't even think about how Rainbow calling her "Derpy" would sound to a non-brony. To a brony, that's her name. To the average parent who doesn't go on the internet that much and isn't indoctrinated to the minutiae of the fandom, it's an insult. That... is a very good, and very valid, reason for them to have removed the name.

I still kind of miss her original voice - I thought it was cute - but I am much more comfortable with Hasbro/Studio B's decision on this now.

Slops
Contributor
2 years ago
2011 derp derpy_hooves equine female generation_4 inspired_by_proper_art moe painting parody pegasus pony solo wings rating:Safe score:3 user:Ratte

Derpy_hooves said:

So they *fixed* her eyes, voice and censored her name because they thought it was offensive.
That's pretty much what we've been saying....

If they where going to change her voice because some bronies didn't like it, then how about a little retconning love for Bon Bon. She has had 3 different voices and all of them painful to listen to. She needs HELP!
Besides, I liked Derpy's old voice. It complimented her character, was distinct and had personality.

And the copyright thing is pretty far fetched too. By that logic Larry Niven should be suing Microsoft over the whole Ringworld=Halo thing.
You can get away with a whole lot of similarities between your new character older characters. Just try comparing DC and Marvel's superhero stables...
Or all the other Batman, Superman and Captain America clones out there...

Derpy_hooves said:

ARE YOU SERIOUS, DEATH THREATS!!! Ahem, this is worse then I thought :/

I wonder if Hasbro will get rid of all of the scary handicapped people so I can visit walmart without having to avoid eye contact with absolutely everyone?

Cetaceaphile said:
I wonder if Hasbro will get rid of all of the scary handicapped people so I can visit walmart without having to avoid eye contact with absolutely everyone?

Why would you make eye contact with anyone at Lolmart?